The International Order of Pro Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of the IOPW E-Wrestling Federation. New members welcome!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Promo Tips

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evan Caliban

Evan Caliban

Promo Tips Empty
PostSubject: Promo Tips   Promo Tips Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Here's a promo tip thread that I laid out the bare bones for and my buddy Matt Kazama expanded on in more thorough detail. Hope they help, and also don't be afraid to come to me with any questions you may have! We're here to help ya!

1. STRONG NARRATIVE: Guys, on this, There's a line in the sand. You want to be more detailed than, say, a children's story, but at the same time you don't want to be as descriptive as J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings). No one wants to read about, "the 25,000 acre forest that has that one tree with the one set of leaves that has better photosynthesis than the other because the sun's rays hit it at a perfect 45 degree angle for exactly 13 hours and 52 minutes each day." Get what I'm sayin'?

2. COLOR CODE: I agree with staying away from the Skittles Rainbow here. 2 to 3 colors are ideal here, if you ask me. Two VERY contrasting examples are David Smith and myself. David will use a white and a gray color switch out, while I will use white for scene description but a different color for each individual character that is being used in my scenes. This is left to preference, but please remember that just because we want to Taste The Rainbow, doesn't mean we want to see it for 7k words in every promo.

3. SPACING: Don't be lured into thinking that everything can just be double spaced. Example, I treat Scene Titles and Post Headings as an introduction to a letter or a book, meaning that there is 4 spaces between the heading and the start of the scene. Basically, it just makes it look a little more clean cut, rather than a thrown together double spaced mess. But again, remember, too much spacing CAN be distracting. It's all about being drawn in. Don't let me fall out of the scene by having to scroll down a quarter mile to the next text.

4. Vocabulary: While I agree that a strong vocabulary makes for a strong promo, don't be Better Than You Damien Sandow with it. No one wants to read sentences structured around words that the average man is going to need a Thesaurus for. Again...happy medium. I always tend to shoot for a Senior in High School/Intro-College vocabulary base. Nothing super out there, but a nice, developed vocabulary list to showcase that you're not the 90% of the IWC just hacking away on a keyboard.

5. Character Development: There's nothing better than a compelling and attention grabbing CD segment/storyline. eFedding has evolved past the point of 100% Shoot Promos like it was 10 years ago. This is all about storytelling, both in and out of the shoots/ring. You character needs depth. It needs a personality. It needs LIFE. We need to believe that that character you're writing about...that creation in your head...could walk right next to us on the subway or on the bus one day and go, "Hey man, sup?" You know what I mean?

6. Strong Match Shoot: Remember that being in-depth is a great thing, but it's all about delivery. If most of you are like me, you know the message you are trying to send before you even have the scene open. You know that line...that ONE line...that PUNCH...that's gonna get you over the moon with people. You can't deliver that line at a lull in your shoot. Your shoot should be a steady crescendo (music reference. Basically means starting from a low tone and climbing all the way to a climax before an abrupt end) that ends with that ONE LINE. That one...perfect line...that lets people know, "Hey mother fucker. I'm comin' for yo ass."

7. Balance: I agree that there should be a line of balance, but do not take that to mean that it should be 33.33333% all the way across the board. It's all about your preference. Example, I'm a big CD guy. I love doing about 50% CD with about 30% shoot, and 20% dedicated to scenery and settings. That rubs some people wrong, saying I should shoot more. It's all about the time and place. It's easier to do 80% shoot when you're in a 6 man match. It's easier to do CD/Scenes when you're 1 on 1. It's all about the time, place, and set up.

8. Multi-Scenes: I'm a HUGE fan of multiple scenes. Create that separation between your CD and your Shoot. Don't make it all one large drawn out scene that everyone has to skim through to get to the meat and potatoes of what you really need them to see. Tacking a shoot onto the end of a RP is a rookie mistake. I like to break my shoots into 2 segments and sandwich them between my Character Development scenes and THEN finish with a small shoot at the end for flavor.

9. Character: Yes, your character is still a wrestler, but remember...you're character needs a LIFE. As a reader, I'm always interested in character development, so whatever happens OUTSIDE the squared circle is always interesting to read.

10 Have Fun: Indeed. Nuff Said.
Back to top Go down

Promo Tips
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The International Order of Pro Wrestling :: Out of Character :: HELP AND FEEDBACK-
Jump to: